Monday, June 28, 2010

MRI for Migraine: Does dye matter? Neuromuscular Dentistry addresses the problem directly.

Cathy Jo:
Can an MRI with intravenous dye show different results than an MRI without dye. I have suffered from migraine headaches since the age of 5 (I am currently 42) and currently on disability because of the severity of my migraines. I did sustain an injury at the age of 5 and may have injuried my neck according to my mother. I do strongly believe this is the origin of my migraines, but an MRI without dye showed normal results. Would an MRI with dye show anything different?

Dr Shapira: Dear Cathy Jo,
n my experience an additional MRI with dye will rarely, if ever be productive. If it makes you feel better you can have one but I would suggest looking for an answer to your problem. I am enclosing contact information for a Neuromuscular Dentist,. I would appreciate your feedback..

If you were my patient I would suggest you try a neuromuscular diagnostic orthotic as a first step in diagnosis and treatment. If it is a neck injury that began your problem you may also require some cervical therapy, NUCCA Chiropractic and/or A/O Atlas -Orthogonal is frequently very effective when combined with a neuromuscular orthotic. It is important that you feel comfortable with your doctor and you should expect a consultation that takes at least 60-90 minutes. Your history is extremely important.

If you eliminate or substantially decrease the frequency an severity of migraines you can continue treatment. You might also want to try having a spenopalatine ganglion block as they often give incredible results. There is an excellent book "MIRACLES ON PARK AVENUE" that discusses SPG blocks in treating pain.

It is quite common for cervical problems an trigeminal problems and/or jaw problems to be related. The majority of patients have multiple muscle trigger points. Many times patients have severe and/or disabling headaches that are not acually migraines but just severe headaches. You did not give much detail in your letter. Details are extremely important in unraveling chronic pain problems.