Saturday, June 22, 2013

Why Physicians Who Treat Headaches Know So Little About TMJ (TMD) And Neuromuscular Dentistry


Jackuelyn:      I've been informing 3 different neuro doctors of my migraine pain the runs from the top of my head/jaw/neck/shoulder. Only to be told by the last 2 that there was nothing they could do for me and the released me as there patient. 

The doctor im seeing now is ok however, i just diagnosed myself when i noticed that my jaw upper jaw row of teeth were not straight (meaning growing outward) i look up TMJ and my photo was on the website. 

My trust in physicians is GONE DUE TO THE SIMPLE FACT THAT I ASKED IF THIS COULD BE THE CAUSE OF MY PAIN AND I WAS TOLD NO.



Dear Jacquelyn,

I understand your frustration, unfortunately many neurologists know little about Neuromuscular Dentistry, Physical Medicine or TMJ disorders and their treatment.  With the exception of Botox injections they are usually limited to doing tests and writing perscriptions.  Botox can be effective but it treats the symptom of referred pain from muscle without addressing the underlying cause of the pain.

Ira L Shapira DDS, D,ABDSM, D,AAPM, FICCMO