Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Sleep Problems and Chronic Migraines. New Study At Rush Medical School Looking For Participants

I received this message from a researcher at Rush,where I did research at Rush Sleep Center under Dr Cartwright as a Visiting Assistant Professor starting in 1985-1991 on jaw position and sleep apnea and found that Female TMJ (migraine/headache) patients had similar neuromuscular bite relations as male sleep apnea patients.

"Dr Shapira,

 My name is Megan Crawford and I am a researcher at the sleep center at Rush University Medical Center. It is with great enthusiasm that I read about your practice, and how you emphasize the importance of good sleep. We here in the Rush Sleep Center have become interested in understanding the relationship between sleep and migraine, and whether treating sleep problems would be beneficial for migraineurs with insomnia. I am a principal investigator of a clinical trial testing an online sleep intervention for women with chronic migraines. The online sleep intervention is called SLEEPIO (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv-nn0KTwnw) and has been shown to be effective for individuals with insomnia in a clinical trial (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22654196). We are looking for females over 18 who have sleep problems and chronic migraines.
Recruitment can sometimes be challenging, and so I am trying to reach out to local headache/pain clinics that might be interested in spreading the word about this study. It is helpful to have someone that individuals know and trust advertise for the research you are doing on their social media websites (blogs, facebook, twitter etc.), or in monthly pamphlets.
If you would like to speak to me on the phone/via email for more information about the study, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would be very happy to send a few fliers to distribute in your office. I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards,
Megan"

e-mail for Megan Crawford is megan_crawford@rush.edu