Monday, August 16, 2010

Relief of 30 years of constant Headache: Brief relief may provide clue to long term relief.

KEN:I Have had headaches for 30 years going away only once when having a root canal done on an upper tooth. While everything was numbed up I had complete brain function and no headache. They are located directly behind my nose area and I feel a constant pressure.

Dr Shapira response: The anaesthetic relieved the pain probably confirming that it is from the trigeminal nerve. I would be very interested is a spenopalatine ganglion block could give more long term relief. It is a easy procedure that I have taught patients to do at home with a q-tip and anaesthetic thru the nose. There are also other diagnostic blocks that can be done to determine the cause of your headaches.

A diagnostic neuromuscular orthotic would be an excellent first step in treatment. If the headaches are eliminated or significantly relieved a permenant stabilization could be done. I have referred you to an excellent Dr who knows both of the procedures mentioned.