Monday, April 11, 2011

i am experiencing extremely severe headaches and also suffer from migraines but these severe headaches are totally different from a migraine

Angie: i was diagnosed with tmj maybe 20 years or so ago. i wear a "dentist fitted" night guard every night since the tmj diagnosis. i am experiencing extremely severe headaches and also suffer from migraines but these severe headaches are totally different from a migraine. i have even used migraine medications but these have yet to come close to helping with these severe headaches. could the tmj issue be the culprit here??? these headaches are hurting in the jaws, temples, across the forehead, terribly behind the eyes and in the back of my head and neck. an mri recently showed nothing abnormal in the head or neck? i have even tried muscle relaxers and prednisone, no relief. i do not have health insurance but am willing to sell my house or at least my car to get some help{jk}. but seriously, what could be causing these headaches? who would be the best doctor to see? i have been to a neurologist, a dentist, natural healers, you name it, i've been there. can you he lp me with this before i go crazy? thank you and i painfully look forward to your reply.


Dr Shapira Response:
Dear Angie

I do not think there is a "Best Doctor" You did not say if your night guard improved your condition. If it does than consider a 24 hour orthotic. A night guard treats a 24/7 problem just at night.

The normal MRI is good news. I know patient's often want to find a problem on an MRI but ruling out serious organic disease is good news.

I normally spend an hour or two reviewing history before initiating treatment treatment and utilize numerous modalities to address specific portions of the problem.

A diagnostic neuromuscular orthotic is an excellent point to start treatment as it can often give miraculous results. I see long distance patients in my office, Ideally 4 days in a row. Come to town Sunday night and I will see you as a first patient Monday for exam and consultation, diagnostic work-up and delivery of an orthotic in the afternoon. I will then see you for adjustments over the next three days. If you are interested in pursuing treatment at my office I would like a lot more information prior to your visit.