Monday, November 21, 2011

Migraines and Vomiting for 15 Years. Neuromuscular Dentistry and SPG Blocks May Resolve Symptoms.

Anne: I've been getting migraine headaches for the past 15 or so years. I always have terrible nausea and vomiting. I have tried many many different things with no luck. I had a migraine yesterday where I vomited non-stop for 12+ hours. The migraines are typically on the right side behind my eye but this time I also noticed pain in my upper jaw.

Dr Shapira response:
Dear Anne,
A diagnostic neuromuscular orthotic can often give dramtic results in lowering the frequency and severity of migraine attacks (and associated nausea) and is especially helpful with tension-type headaches and referred muscle headaches. The muscular headaches are frequently the trigger for the migraines. The nausea is a secondary autonomic effect. The trigeminal nerve (or dentists nerve) is involved in almost all migraines and other types of headache. It is also associate with autonomic symptoms. An SPG block can sometimes offer amazing relief. There is an out of print book "Miracles on Park Avenue" that discusses some of the benefits of SPG blocks.
An Spenopalatine Ganglion Block can be done at the first sign of a headache and prevent a full attack. I usually teach my patients this easy technique.
I do see long distance patients, but I like a complete history and phone interview before scheduling. I usually will have patients come in Sunday and I see them Monday AM and PM, Tuesday AM and PM and Wednesday morning for their first set of appointments. Call my office if you would like me to see you at 847-623-5530.
A neuromuscular work-up will usually show the problems and allow for correction but their may be other factors besides the jaws, jaw muscles, jaw joints, posture and trigeminal nerves. Allergies or chemical triggers can still serve as headache triggers.