Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Intense Migraines: Trigeminal Neuralgia, Trigeminal Neuropathy or a simple problem best addressed through Neuromuscular Dentistry and an orthotic.

Carolyn: Intense migrane headaches with jaw, neck, shoulder, face, sinues,eye and ear pain, also numb feeling on face. I had MRI's done of my head and neck and was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia, seeked Gamma Knife, was told I wasn't a canidate and to have an MRI of my neck, had that done, nothing showed up, then was told I had Trigeminal Neuropothy. I was diagnosed with TMJ a long time ago and had a mouth piece...it didn't do much and as time went on things got worse. I am convienced that my problem is with the Tri nerves and TMJ...no doctor has caught on. I am at my wits end and need to find out what is wrong with my neck and face. Please help me in finding a doctor who could figure out my problem. Thank you!!

Dr Shapira response: Carolyn, I am sorry your life is being destroyed by what sounds like horrible pain. I would strongly suggest avoiding Gamma Knife surgery as a first line treatment.

You did not mention trying non-invasive or minimally invasive treatment such as massage therapy, chiropractic adjustment or Ice Down Therapy which can be helpful. The beauty of Neuromuscular Dentistry is that results can be rapid, amazing and life changing in just a few visits. I would suggest starting with very simple diagnostic evaluation such as spray and stretch with vapo-coolant for myofascial pain, trigger point injections SPG blocks and most importantly a diagnostic neuromuscular orthotic.

I frequently see long distance patients and we can sometimes produce amazing results in just wo to three days of intensive therapy. We do our consultation , work-up and exam the morning of the first day and deliver an orthotic that afternoon. We deactivate trigger point injections with spray and stretch techniques as described by Dr Janet Travell. The second morning we adjust the appliance and do diagnostic/treatment trigger points and blocks and adjust again that afternoon. I work closely with an Atlas orthoganol DC who can address the cervical vertebrae during your stay.

There is no "CURE" for these problems but rapid relief is possible and the orthotic lets you maintain comfort. A real "CURE" would mean you could get back the years you lost to pain, reverse the effects on your life, your relationships and your family. The best we can do is give you a brighter future.

All of the symptoms you descibed are why TMJ disorders are called "The Great Imposter"

Read "Suffer No More: Dealing With The Great Imposter" in Sleep and Health Journal http://www.sleepandhealth.com/story/suffer-no-more-dealing-great-impostor

Contact my office if you would like to schedule a 3 day series of appointments for rapid evaluation and treatment or I will try to find you a knowledgable doctor in your area.